Kusudama

Kusudama (Medicine Ball) is a Japanese artform involving the folding of paper to create conical objects (usually flowers) which are then stitched together to form a sphere. They originated during the Heaian period (794 - 1192) and were once filled with herbs to ward off evil spirits and disease. A detailed history of Kusudama can be found at David Lister's website, The History of Origami.

They're beautiful, and I've decided that I want to make one. I found the instructions at The peace of paper, and I've been working on the individual units. This is my progress...



1 comments:

Jess Haskins said...

Those are lovely -- I especially like your color scheme.

I just finished making my first one out of post-its at work. It looks nice nestled among my collection of post-it waterbombs.