Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion

This weekend, I stayed in and finished reading Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Both were wonderful, and I intend to continue on with the series, but I think I'll take a break before starting the next novel. I'm too tired to give a detailed synopsis, and I'm not sure that I could do it well. I find it increasingly difficult to write about writing. It requires a sort of reductionism that never does justice to the actual work in question, and the Hyperion Series has an intricate plotline that makes it all the more difficult to reduce down to a simple blog entry. Instead, I point you to the Wikipedia entries for both Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. Today, I'm content with allowing someone else to do the work, and I'll just provide the recommendation.

I did go for a much needed walk in the park, and I nearly found myself covered in massive quantities of bird dren. There was a big splat several feet in front of me, and when I looked up, there was a beautiful hawk perched on a limb. I stayed and watched him in all of his elegance for quite a while before returning to my apartment, and now I'm here trying to decide what to do with the rest of my evening. It's exceedingly hot in this little box, and my ambition is not very high.

I was thinking about walking to my office to pick up an Amazon order that appears to have arrived on Saturday, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow to venture out again. I'm expecting Singing Innocence and Experience by Sonya Taaffe and The Dancing Girls of Lahore: Selling Love and Saving Dreams in Pakistan's Pleasure District by Louise Brown.

0 comments: